*** Read This Before Importing a Car to Australia***

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: *** Read This Before Importing a Car to Australia***  (Read 31188 times)

Offline POTF

• Pony
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 11:26:11 am »
Originally posted by ozbilt
Latest Open Road, the NRMA mag, there is a letter from a reader complaining how dangerous LHD cars are in Australia. Wonder what the next edition will bring in responses.

WTF.... what did he base this judgement on? did the article elaborate?

Offline POTF

• Pony
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 11:40:35 am »
Originally posted by trik 66
This is all starting to sound a bit scary for me as mine is at Wilmington CA waiting to get on a ship once i have approval from DOTARS !! Should i be worried about the car ? ie the 17" wheels  ? new motor ? etc etc If they approve as what i sent them as in these photo's etc is that not a safe passage into Australia ??  

Keep us updated as to how you go. Best of luck.

I also have a Deuce Coupe so am involved in the Rodding forums. This is having a Huge impact in the Street Rodding scene. I know of cars that have been rejected because they are running a Small Block Chev and a Glass Body. Simply sent back to the US, no chance to get it in the country and modify it for Aust rego laws. I think it is open to interpretation but please organise you proof before you purchase.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 11:43:16 am »
Originally posted by T-CODE KID
well with 465 views ..thats some sort of interest

i generally keep me cars stock ,down to wheel rims,hubcaps:p & RHD soo.....dosnt too concern me ...........

but to who ever it does... they they can take up the banter

That is the issue & typical of what I find in Australians, it is the "I am all right, so why should I bother".

You cannot leave it up to others to "take up the banter". You, me & everyone else has to step up & be heard. If not, it will be all over.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 11:45:48 am »
Originally posted by trik 66
This is all starting to sound a bit scary for me as mine is at Wilmington CA waiting to get on a ship once i have approval from DOTARS !! Should i be worried about the car ? ie the 17" wheels  ? new motor ? etc etc If they approve as what i sent them as in these photo's etc is that not a safe passage into Australia ??  

No issue for you if you have given DOTAS the pics & they approve. Then it comes here as planned.

Offline trik 66

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 12:11:07 pm »
thank guys ! feeling a tad better now !!
[img width=180 height=135]http://i878.phot

Offline trik 66

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2010, 01:01:48 pm »
spoke with DOTARS just now and all is well !! They said that if the photo's off the car are what turn up on the docks that was what is approved and your ok !! they are more worried about heavily modified and as for wheels etc 22'wheels on a mustang may be a little of a red flag coming in (maybe !!??) is the word !! The legislation has not actually changed at all !! Just the way they govern the rules that were in place from the start is being (dotted i's and crossing t's !!)
[img width=180 height=135]http://i878.phot

Offline POTF

• Pony
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2010, 01:59:49 pm »
Good to hear. Nice looking car by the way.

Offline mark678

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2010, 12:18:33 pm »
Just had to send pics to dotars ...rang to find out why, apparently this has been there all along and now they are enforcing, fair enough... i said but what if i just send a pic of any 1966 mustang how will you know the difference, they won't unless they are there for every container  to check vin #'s...... as usual if the paperwork is ticked no problem same as the ridiculous air con ruling evac the gas in the states put it back in here or tick the box no air or do paperwork its been evacuated, again no problem but don't get caught with that one i believe a $50k fine for a whole lot of b/s......
Do you ever wonder who thinks up all these rules.....is that a job requirement...you must have zero common sense.......... wish they had a uni degree in that, i am sure our country would prosper greatly  with just a teaspoon full.... instead we struggle with the k dudds and co.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2010, 08:29:25 pm »
Originally posted by T-CODE KID
dunno wats the dramas with imported cars  aircons?

R12 refrigerant. So to make sure, they want all the gas out before the car arrives, then gas it up after arrival.

Offline mark678

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010, 11:07:49 am »
r12 is the big no no.... but if you forget to degas in usa they will actually let you degas that here it is totally banned here and bad for envirorment .... but 134 is gas used now and it still has to be evaced and if you forget to degas in usa they won;t let you do it here .... you have to get a $3000 licence to import cars with air  

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2010, 01:48:36 pm »
My bad...i think i am 423 of those

Quote from: T-CODE KID link=topic=10500.msg108049#msg108049
well with 465 views ..thats some sort of interest

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2010, 10:24:33 pm »
I am bringing 2 cars in over the next year or so that are very radical & would never pass registration here. They are coming here to have the build finished, maybe a show or 2 & then return to the US for show/driving duty.

The way they are entering is by "Temporary Permit". I apply for the DOTAS in the normal way stating that the car is being built here then exported. I pay the duty on the car & it is refunded upon export from Australia. The people I spoke to were very informative & only too happy to explain things. I suppose it also helped by having a good record with them regarding imports. It was my agent's suggestion about the permit & got me to confirm.

So, some neat cars coming for a while.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2010, 10:38:46 pm »
Here ya go...

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2010, 11:25:30 pm »
Quote from: T-CODE KID link=topic=10500.msg109921#msg109921
that will fly like a rocket with the supercharger..........

u hand formed inner panels ?

rack up front like the toranas  any advantage?

All late model Mustang suspension with Griggs Racing mods. I did not start the build on the car, the current builder has lost his way & it is coming to me to finish. I have built a couple of cars for this friend (he owns the factory in China I R&D/teach at), so only too happy to take over the build. I will be making a lot of changes as this car no where meets my standards.

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2010, 11:26:50 pm »
We can continue the conversation in "Ozbilt's Travels" thread instead of me continuing to hijack this one.

Offline shelby_mustro

• Supercharged
  • Name: Ryan
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2010, 07:10:15 pm »
Quote from: ozbilt link=topic=10500.msg109904#msg109904
Here ya go...

bloddy hell!!! got any more photos of this project?? what year stang is it??
1965 Ford mustang coupe
hipo 4bbl 347 windsor v8
t5 5 speed manual
4 wheel power assisted brakes

Other cars
1967 mustang coupe 289 c4 red
1966 mustang convertible nightmist blue
1951 f1 chopped truck blown c4 black
1963 Xl falcon ute 200ci 3spd manual white

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2010, 08:30:12 pm »
shelby_mustro

More info in Ozbilt's Travels thread.

http://mustang.org.au/forum/viewthread.php?tid=7809&page=20

It was a 67 fastback when it was young.

Not saying too much until it gets here, then I will post updates.

Offline Shayne93

• Stallion
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2010, 08:29:47 pm »
Can someone clarify for me... My import approval was issued on the 4th of August 2009. The car to date has not been regoed in Australia and I am putting EFI 5l Windsor, Air Con, front and rear discs, new tranny, new diff and all the rest.

It came over stock as a rock, exept it was red instead of the original black.

Will this form of "I have a degree and i am a cockhead in parliment office" law effect my car? I was never asked for photos. Nor would I ever bother sending them, that would cost me 50 cents :P

Offline fatrider

• Pony
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2010, 09:11:46 pm »
So I assume if you have received your approval from DOTAR's and you have been honest and provided all the info then you will be okay

Offline 68pony

• Worked
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2010, 09:59:39 pm »
Quote from: shayneblacklock link=topic=10500.msg110643#msg110643
Can someone clarify for me... My import approval was issued on the 4th of August 2009. The car to date has not been regoed in Australia and I am putting EFI 5l Windsor, Air Con, front and rear discs, new tranny, new diff and all the rest.

It came over stock as a rock, exept it was red instead of the original black.

Will this form of "I have a degree and i am a <b>****</b>head in parliment office" law effect my car? I was never asked for photos. Nor would I ever bother sending them, that would cost me 50 cents :P

There not to worried about paint and as the car is already here and you can proove the work was done here as you will have reciepts it becomes a rta matter  which means you will need a engineers report , what people are forgetting is dotars havn't changed the rules they just havn't inforced them, these rules have always been there but people were taking advantage of them, there trying to stop the modified ones from entering , i think if it is already here your okay , dotars don't have the man power to check cars that far back.
cheers chris.

Offline Foresight

• Blue Printed
  • Captain Crash
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2010, 10:10:34 pm »
Getting dizzy from your signature 68 pony

Offline mark678

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2010, 05:06:27 pm »
have just spent the last 4 days trying to contact dotars , they sent me an email wanting pics of the cars on the 20th may which i sent same day....I still have not received approval even though they sent one for a boat trailer i had and billed my c/c for the cars as well...... this is usually when you know approval is on its way.....so another 2 weeks on and nothing........ well   have been assured it would go through today. so fingers crossed............ big tip for everyone its not 17days anymore ...more like 70....actually spoke to the part time reception girl transfering me to import section for the 50th time and there are a whole lot of folk very unhappy with dotars some taking action through the ombudsman.... just with my wait (at least 7 weeks now) i am sure there are vehicles sitting on the wharf waiting for approvals at about $100 bucks a day ............. now my box is getting close to arrival so hope it arrives real soon ..........

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2010, 07:58:55 pm »
Hmm, thanks for that Mark, I'd better chase mine up. Must be at least a month now since I sent the app. to DOTARS and the cars are ready to go.
Rick

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
  • A hearse has no tow ball !
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2010, 08:43:44 pm »
Hey guys,

I got an email yesterday from DOTARS as well regarding my application.

All this after almost 3 days short of a month from when I initially sent the application off…..so much for a 17 day processing time!! Mind you I wouldn’t want there job!!

They wanted to see:
1.   More pic’s of my car – no mod’s pretty standard
2.   A photo of the build plate.
3.   And a clearer copy of my license signed by a JP – OK 1ST ONE WAS A BIT DARK

After talking to Matt in Florida this morning he informed me 1968 models didn’t have a build plate. It took two phone calls to DOTARS today to clear that one up. Turns out it’s a new girl processing my application ….. I also pointed out to her that that information is not requested on their form anyway.

The good news is,  after sending everything off to them this morning, I notice $50.00 has been charge to my credit card this afternoon, so we must be getting closer to obtaining the import approval. Me hopes!! :(

Good thing too, because I also spoke to Joey at Schumacher’s via email and he told me the car is in a sealed container ready to be shipped in the next few days and due to arrive in Brisbane by the end of the month

Yippee – Yippee – there does seem to be light at the end of the tunnel!!

:p:a:p:a:p

Offline usa289

• Worked
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2010, 09:03:43 pm »
Just be 100% safe and make sure you have the approval in your hand BEFORE you ship your pride and joy ....

Cheers,
[align=center]
USA289
[/align]