Interior colours

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Interior colours  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Spooky

• Worked
Interior colours
« on: May 11, 2010, 01:15:35 pm »
I have a question for the Gurus out there,

I have a 64 1/2 with 82 Trim (Blue Crinkle vinyl). My car was restored some time ago (probably more than 5 years ago) and the dash and doors were repainted. They did a poor job and I would like to redo the paint. Also my center console needs repair and would then need to be repainted.

Can someone out there tell me what the correct colour would be and where I could get a small quantity of the correct colour?

Thanks in anticipation
[align=center]
[/align]

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
Interior colours
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 10:01:39 pm »
Just take a piece of the trim to an auto paint supplies shop and they'll be able to mix a small amount up to match. They sell Preval brand small pressure pack spray guns to do the job in the home garage without a compressor. The paint needs a matting agent added to get the correct dull finish. Grab some thinners too.

Mine came back from the paint shop with a full gloss interior, and that's how I got it original looking.

Offline Spooky

• Worked
Interior colours
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 08:00:02 am »
Originally posted by 66RedRagtop
Just take a piece of the trim to an auto paint supplies shop and they'll be able to mix a small amount up to match. They sell Preval brand small pressure pack spray guns to do the job in the home garage without a compressor. The paint needs a matting agent added to get the correct dull finish. Grab some thinners too.

Mine came back from the paint shop with a full gloss interior, and that's how I got it original looking.

Thanks I will try that. I was not sure if the paint should be the same colour as the trim or a different colour (as mine is).
[align=center]
[/align]

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
  • A hearse has no tow ball !
Interior colours
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 09:11:28 am »
Originally posted by Spooky

I have a 64 1/2 with 82 Trim (Blue Crinkle vinyl). My car was restored some time ago (probably more than 5 years ago) and the dash and doors were repainted. They did a poor job and I would like to redo the paint. Also my center console needs repair and would then need to be repainted.

Can someone out there tell me what the correct colour would be and where I could get a small quantity of the correct colour?

Thanks in anticipation

Hi Kerry,

Really comes down to personal preference ……i don't mind the blue crinkle vinyl .....but, I reckon your car would like really good with the pony trim ...maybe blue and white or red and white.....just my opinion,  I’m sure it will look terrific either way.

:(;+:(

Offline Spooky

• Worked
Interior colours
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 09:32:23 am »
Originally posted by GRUMPY ONE

Thanks in anticipation

Hi Kerry,

Really comes down to personal preference ……i don't mind the blue crinkle vinyl .....but, I reckon your car would like really good with the pony trim ...maybe blue and white or red and white.....just my opinion,  I’m sure it will look terrific either way.

Hi Ed,

I like the blue and will probably go with a blue pony interior at some stage. It will be hard to justify changing the interior now as it is in really good condition.
The main issue I have is the painted area on the dash and doors has been badly done! It needs to be redone and I would like it to be the correct colour. It currently does not match the trim. It is lighter in colour and has a light metallic look. I wasn't sure if this is correct or if it should match the trim. I also need to repair the centre console and it will need to be repainted.

Kerry
PS. Are you excited yet?:w

[align=center]
[/align]

Offline HAPPY ONE

• Worked
  • A hearse has no tow ball !
Interior colours
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 10:38:02 am »

Thanks in anticipation

Hi Kerry,

Hi Ed,

I like the blue and will probably go with a blue pony interior at some stage. It will be hard to justify changing the interior now as it is in really good condition.
The main issue I have is the painted area on the dash and doors has been badly done! It needs to be redone and I would like it to be the correct colour. It currently does not match the trim. It is lighter in colour and has a light metallic look. I wasn't sure if this is correct or if it should match the trim. I also need to repair the centre console and it will need to be repainted.

Kerry
PS. Are you excited yet?:w

Ah I get it now. I would have thought the original dash colour would be either white as the rest of the car or Black ?? maybe someone like Ozbuilt will be able to shed some light further!!

P.S

Yep - car has arrived at Schumachers and maybe leaving as soon as the end of the week, on a direct route -  yippee!!!

:+:+:+:a:a:p

Offline Spooky

• Worked
Interior colours
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 10:58:53 am »

Ah I get it now. I would have thought the original dash colour would be either white as the rest of the car or Black ?? maybe someone like Ozbuilt will be able to shed some light further!!

P.S

Yep - car has arrived at Schumachers and maybe leaving as soon as the end of the week, on a direct route -  yippee!!!

:+:+:+:a:a:p

Hope it's more "direct" than mine. Geezers do a direct but it is direct into Australia not direct into Brisbane so mine went to Melbourne then the container was offloaded in Sydney where it waited for 10 days to be put on another ship headed for Brisbane. (One of the problems with tracking the car while it is shipping) It still only took 35 days.

Kerry
[align=center]
[/align]

Offline eri67

• Blue Printed
Interior colours
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 05:05:17 pm »
I used a flat clear on mine, to dull the paint