Best parts shipping from the USA

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: Best parts shipping from the USA  (Read 6163 times)

Offline KonKon

• Pony
« on: April 01, 2010, 05:59:00 pm »
One evening I ordered catalogues from Larry's (the only totally free one and the fastest to arrive), NPD, KAR, Cal Mustang, CJ Pony and Year One (don't waste your $$$$ on this one, also the slowest to arrive).

I'm wondering who has the best shipping prices? I've bought a few books and two lots of small bits (that in a blink add up to US$250 each time) and each lot cost US$25-$30 air mail shipping which is way cheaper than buying locally.

CJ Pony wanted about US$42.00 for one average book and one quite small book. So for me Larry's are great. But who is best for bigger or heavy items?

Any good or bad experiences?

Offline nicco

• Thoroughbred
    • http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/Nicks67s/
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 07:16:38 pm »
I haven't ordered any parts but Amazon is pretty good for books and manuals on CD. Shipping is not bad either.

Offline HEVEN67

• Top Streeter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 07:33:04 pm »
Yes I found Larrys OK for shipping and delivery was great, I ordered some goodies on Wednesday and received them on Monday, Also I seen a mob that ships bulky Items, advertised in Just Parts Magazine and they seemed reasonable.
LuvheV
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.

Real muscle cars have 3 pedals. Where theres smoke theres Tyres

Offline KonKon

• Pony
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 07:37:26 pm »
We don't get Just Parts Mag' here, Can oyu have a look who it was please. I'm looking at getting a higher amp 'bolt right in' alternator, adn being heavy I imagine the cost will be high. Larry's don't seem to do a 100A+ alternator. So I'm wondering who else is good/cheap.

Offline mert

• Supercharged
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 10:10:33 pm »
It's more of "how" than "who". For most smaller parts USPS flat rate international shipping is a good deal.  A box to fit an alternator will run about $50USD.  Weight is generally not a factor with the flat rate shipping.  

If they use FedEx, UPS, DHL, or other "courier" services it will be far more expensive...
8R01S, 8R03S, 8R01C-Cal Special, 8F01X - EXP500 Repli-bute

Offline davo65

• Stallion
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 10:25:41 pm »
KAR, Virginia Classic, Auto Krafters and a host of others are good, helpful, reliable and postage is reasonable. But take it from me, wait until you want to fill a box with several parts as it will be far more economical and cheaper than sourcing locally (albeit you can't beat Capital Classics in Canberra if you need a few things quickly - albeit not cheap - at local postage rates ).

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 01:47:45 am »
For books of any kind (and I have bought Mustang books from them) I highly recommend The Book Depository. Not only are the prices a lot less than local, but free shipping always, anywhere. I have used them many times now and it still amazes me that they can do it. A friend's daughter bought her uni medical books from them and saved hundreds.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/

We get seriously ripped off with the price of books in Oz, I don't know about NZ.
Rick

Offline hybrid

• Blue Printed
  • Account Suspended By Owners Request
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 08:58:41 am »
Shipping from California should be cheaper than most other places, but I've found cal-mustangs very slow with requests for pricing etc... sometimes it can take over a week.
- Stupid questions are better than stupid mistakes.
- Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away, barefoot, and you've got his shoes.

Offline P8TRIOT

• Worked
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 07:49:27 pm »
some classic car importers can also source parts and becouse it all gets stuffed into a container its heaps cheaper. You may have to wait a bit longer just depends on how frequently they import but for heavy stuff and things like panels might be the way to go.

Offline KonKon

• Pony
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 09:05:18 pm »
Turns out not all is so great with Larry's. I placed two orders on one day to stay below import tax limits. first order arrived in 7 days, great but postage was US$65 and not the $27 at the check out. I understand it may cost more but they should at least ask, emailed them yesterday... waiting for a reply. This extra postage also pushed it over the tax limit which could have added another $40.

My second order, not even sent yet, but not sure why, again waitng for an email reply.

Offline 289Acode

• Stallion
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 11:40:11 pm »
Kon Kon, how does the "tax Limit" work?? Not heard mention of it before.

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 12:15:42 am »
Ponyride, thanks for the info on the Book Depository. I had not heard of them before. I had a look at their web site and ordered the originality guide within about 2 minutes. Free delivery worldwide is a bonus.

Online jiffy

• Supercharged
  • Name: Jeff
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 12:35:20 am »
Originally posted by 289Acode

if the stated or insured value of any shipment including postage is over $1000 AuD then you'll be charged import duty etc on it. Assume $150 minimum once it hits $1K...

Black '69 CJ 4SPD car under construction (425/504)
Black 2002 SVT Cobra - 2003 Terminator Clone (575rwhp/716rwtq - SOLD)
Black ‘63.5 Galaxie 4SPD fastback (just you wait...)

Offline 289Acode

• Stallion
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 06:24:28 pm »
Originally posted by jiffy
Originally posted by 289Acode

if the stated or insured value of any shipment including postage is over $1000 AuD then you'll be charged import duty etc on it. Assume $150 minimum once it hits $1K...

Thanks Jiffy...was not aware of that! Will try to watch that $1k limit now.
A friend of mine imported some Mustang gear & was very disappointed that he got a bill from this end as well....at least now I know why.
Sorry for not responding sooner, but I lost track of the thread & didn't know enough about the system to search it out.
Thanks again.

Offline fangstang

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 08:42:37 pm »
i had a pair of rear 1/4 skins arrive for my 72 and just like most the mustang parts over there, they were made in japan which means you need to pay tax on top of the panel prices and shipping (if they are US made you dont need to pay frieght as there is a tax free agreement between US nd Austarlia if they are US made in the end it cost me $400.00 for 2 rear 1/4's which is still a lot cheaper then getting them here in Australia which you cant buy for this year model.

Offline jbrucem1

• Worked
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 10:13:45 pm »
I have used CJ Pony parts as well as a couple of smaller sellers on ebay..Have tried Laurel Mountain and Mustangs Unlimited but both take days - weeks to get back to me..CJ's are all in all very helpful and usually get back to you within a couple of days, ship reasonably quikly and are a lot cheaper than buying in Australia..however, as you will find on this forum sometimes it easier just to buy directly from an Australian seller..Both Griff's and Mustang marque are good victorian sellers..

Offline mwizz

• Shelby
  • MOCSA member #827
  • Name: Mark
  • Car: 1969 Shelby GT500
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 09:52:21 pm »
Just an update on the Book Depository. The Originality Guide that I ordered on 10 April arrived today which is a bit longer than I expected. However, I contacted the Book Depository the other day to enquire about the order and their customer service was excellent. It does not usually take that long for a book to arrive and they were prepared to send me another one if it still had not arrived by next week. I have now placed another order with them for the 'The Cobra in the Barn'.

Offline ponyride

• Blue Printed
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2010, 09:58:14 pm »
Originally posted by mwizz
Just an update on the Book Depository. The Originality Guide that I ordered on 10 April arrived today which is a bit longer than I expected. However, I contacted the Book Depository the other day to enquire about the order and their customer service was excellent. It does not usually take that long for a book to arrive and they were prepared to send me another one if it still had not arrived by next week. I have now placed another order with them for the 'The Cobra in the Barn'.

Glad it worked out mwizz. It still baffles me that they can do it to be honest, they must have massive economies of scale. And yes, I have had only good experiences with their customer service people as well. The time taken seems to be a lottery, I had one delivered within the week once, just before Christmas which was quicker than if I ordered it from within Australia. Others I've waited 5-10 days tops mostly.
Rick

Offline jonn

• Stallion
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010, 10:29:48 pm »
Originally posted by mwizz

I’ve used the Book Depository 3 times, shipping times is variable but the prices are great and overall great service.

Only criticism was that one of my purchases was packaged in a light weight post pack and the book was bent and damaged in transit.

Offline shaunp

• GT 500
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2010, 02:45:26 pm »
I normally just go to Cal mustang, never had an issue.

Offline stormin

• Blue Printed
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2010, 10:22:39 pm »
I just got a quote from year one for a steering wheel and boss,only because they were the only one to list what I wanted .Had to go on backorder 8 to 10 weeks. Wheel and boss $145  Freight $238 .Said it was to big to go US mail.
Cancelled the order. Box would have been 400X400 X120-150. You would think that wasn't to big to come airmail.
Stormin

Offline jbrucem1

• Worked
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 01:29:23 am »
My current order from CJ pony parts has a steering wheel and drip rail moldings - total shipping price for these and heaps of other items (totalling over $1000) - $160US all airmail - 7-10 business days (give or take a week on this one) - that includes splitting the order into 2 seperate boxes - import taxes - they are not really fast, have had to wait 2 weeks for a couple of parts (before they can ship the box). If need be give them a call and u get an answer straight away..$238 is way to much..good move cancelling the order