New to forum and looking at buying a mustang

Mustang Australia

Author Topic: New to forum and looking at buying a mustang  (Read 9042 times)

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
  • Car: 1965 Fastback
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 11:14:11 am »
Originally posted by ozbilt
There is no such thing as a "cheap" classic car.  

I agree.

I have an SL/R I've owned for 20+ years, worked on it bit by bit, spent more on it than what it's worth.... and it's still a heap of crap that's giving me headaches, lol.

I'm just thinking at the moment, going to the US this year and looking at 'maybe' getting something cheap & roadworthy and slowly pecking at it once I get it here - it'll be a long term project.

s

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 11:24:21 am »
Originally posted by StephenSLR
There is no such thing as a "cheap" classic car.  

I agree.

I have an SL/R I've owned for 20+ years, worked on it bit by bit, spent more on it than what it's worth.... and it's still a heap of crap that's giving me headaches, lol.

I'm just thinking at the moment, going to the US this year and looking at 'maybe' getting something cheap & roadworthy and slowly pecking at it once I get it here - it'll be a long term project.

s

What cars are you looking for?

You are doing Route 66 correct?

We did that in 99 in a 65 Lincoln Continental, great trip, 2 weeks doing every alignment of the road that is left (there were 3 major changes during the time the road was used, 1920's 1930's & late 1940's).

My next cross country journey will be the Lincoln Highway, the first trans continental road anywhere. new Jersey to San Francisco. My workshop was one street away from the old road as it passed through Loomis CA. You can still see parts of that old road.

I will be over in CA early next month & have good leads on some nice cars.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 11:43:09 am »
What cars are you looking for?

Originally I was thinking a '66 'vette but they are so expensive so I started browsing Mustangs of the same era and surprisingly found an interest in them I didn't previously have, they are also more in my price range.

At the moment there are a few factors I have to seriously consider but there's no harm in browsing and learning as I go for now.

You are doing Route 66 correct?

Yes that's right, so I'm keen to learn what's required should I find something over there I can't resist.

A '66 fastback would be nice but who knows what can take my fancy when I'm out & about.

It doesn't have to be a classic, if something obscure piques my interest and I picture myself having pride in owning it ..... that's what it's all about right?  Nothing too rare of course, I don't want impossible to find replacement parts.

Originally I was shopping for a GTR but somehow ended up buying an SL/R and have never looked back.

s

Offline jbrucem1

• Worked
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 06:22:43 pm »
Vasili give Ian from Mustang Marque in Bendigo a call. He may have something or could point u in the right direction..03 5446 8283

Offline vasili

• Pony
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2010, 09:19:17 pm »
Thanks for all the help and advice fellas.  Really hanging to get one now.  Looking locally also.  May just bite the bullet if I find a good coupe.  I have a bit to think about.  Thanks jbrucem.  I'll give Ian a buzz when the money is there and I can actually start to bargain.  Till then I have to stick to the forums and try learn as much as I can.

Thanks again fellas.

Offline Rock65

• Worked
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2010, 09:33:01 pm »
Looks like Grunt has a nice coupe for sale in the for sale section.

Offline Macka

• Shelby
  • Vic member 1571
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 09:21:24 pm »
Vasili, yell out on the next run day and come for a ride and meet a few, see a few cars and maybe look at the club for future events.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 09:26:56 pm »
As mentioned in the Route 66 tour thread

Let's say I find a car I want to buy when I'm in the USA, what do I do?

Should I plan ahead over here as if it's going to happen and arrange contacts or can it all be done ad hoc from the US?

s

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2010, 09:36:03 pm »
Originally posted by StephenSLR
As mentioned in the Route 66 tour thread

Let's say I find a car I want to buy when I'm in the USA, what do I do?

Should I plan ahead over here as if it's going to happen and arrange contacts or can it all be done ad hoc from the US?

s

If you find something, just get on the net, log on here & contact who you want to arrange shipping for you. We have East coast guys & west coast guys that ship often.

Must warn you though, you will not find anything decent on that trip, that road has always been paved with people dealing in impulse buyers since the road opened. Nothing has changed.

I have pictures of cars for sale on the side of the road on that trip & for big money. A look inside the window you would see the ground beneath the car. They were that bad.

The days of having a vacation to the US for a few weeks & picking up cars is long gone. With all my contacts & spending probably close to 4 months over there last year, I came across 5 decent vehicles for sale at what I would call, the correct price.

Offline StephenSLR

• Top Streeter
    • www.lycanthia.com
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2010, 09:39:53 pm »
The days of having a vacation to the US for a few weeks & picking up cars is long gone.

Yeah, I realise this a friend has been back and forth a few times before he found himself a Camaro.

You did actually find 5 decent vehicles at the correct price so you never know it could happen on the first time.

s

Offline vasili

• Pony
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2010, 07:08:50 pm »
Rock, I looked at the coupe you mentioned, but I have myself set on black or candy apple red.

Mac 1 I'll be there.  I'm looking forward to it.

Also how much would it cost to put air con and also change from a c10 to a t5 setup???

Thanks guys

Offline non member

• Top Streeter
  • Account Closed
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2010, 08:03:06 pm »
vasili ,
Do not get A/C in a car coming from the USA unless it is drained & signed off or a brand new unit in a box to be fitted here.

StephenSLR,
Yes I found 5 cars, but I live in the US part of the year (was living there permanently 96-07) & have contacts all over the place that know what I expect.

Offline vasili

• Pony
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2010, 05:54:49 pm »
Hi guys.

Can someone please point me in the direction of importers.  I'm specifically looking for websites.  I have looks at shermatts but would like to look at others also.

Also if people can point me to websites which you use to try find your cars.  I've been mainly using carpoint for local cars and classiccars.com for cars in the US.

Thanks guys.

Offline evan

• Blue Printed
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2010, 06:04:03 pm »
Vasili, try Mustangs of Melbourne, East Coast Mustangs & Just Mustangs.

Evan.

Offline 66RedRagtop

• Supercharged
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2010, 11:27:52 pm »
Also Griffs at Delacombe up Ballarat way. www.griffs.com.au

Offline blocko

• Thoroughbred
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2010, 03:48:50 pm »
Try this site to search USA.
http://craiglook.com/cars.html

Offline vasili

• Pony
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2010, 07:36:00 pm »
Thanks for the advice and help fellas.  I'm tucking the penny's away to buy my mates 66 coupe.  If he still has it in September when I know the money will be there, I will definitely be buying his, as I know what the car is.  Otherwise I'll be on here looking for something either locally or in the U.S.  Until then I have to wait patiently :(.